10:08 PMAndrea ♥ TheTaintedButterfly.com

Reflecting on the Rearview

2015 has been a great year so far. We've been through a lot of sadness and frustration due to the situation with the kids, but our second year of marriage has been full of great accomplishments too. In March we purchased our amazing home, and last weekend we took a little getaway and came home with the most beautiful Mercedes. My husband has been wanting this car since I’ve known him, and it’s such a blessing that we were able to make it happen. With all that he does to give me everything I could ever want or need, he truly deserved to be the spoiled one for a change. When we went to pick it up, he asked me if I wanted to drive it back to the hotel, and I drove the whole way crying happy tears. I had the same reaction when we bought our house. To some, it probably sounds kind of shallow to have such an emotional reaction to material things, but it’s actually much deeper than that. Achieving the things that everyone aspires to have in life comes with overwhelming realizations of just how far you’ve come when you've experienced so much loss, pain and heartbreak in the past. So, in those moments where I find myself experiencing something that was once beyond anything I ever saw in my future it immediately takes me back to the very lowest moment of my life, the night I truly almost ended it.
 
Sitting in that gorgeous car was such a long way from the night I locked myself in that hotel bathroom. At the time, I was so completely broken that I truly couldn't imagine surviving another day of the life I was living. We'd been evicted, cars repossessed and I'd lost my job because my life was so unstable. Everything I owned was piled up in the corner of that hotel room, and I hadn’t eaten in days. I was so emotionally and mentally sick that I couldn’t keep anything down even if I’d had any food to eat. The only thing I could remember eating in the last month was one chicken nugget. The Soul Stealer was kicking my ass regularly by that time. Saying my life was ruined wasn’t an exaggeration. Every direction I looked there was complete disaster ahead, and at that point in time there was only one way out that I could see. He told me that he didn’t have the money for the room fee for the next day, but somehow managed to scrape up enough to support his habit. I knew it was the end of the line. The next day we were going to be out in the streets. I quietly got up and went to the bathroom. There was a razor in there. I’d make it work somehow. It was the only option I could see. I turned on the shower so he wouldn’t get suspicious. The feeling that it was finally going to be over was the most inner peace I’d felt in a long time. I tried and tried to break the plastic on the razor and I couldn’t do it. I've never felt more desperate, alone and hopeless than I did that night. Soon, he caught on to the fact that I had been in the bathroom too long and started demanding that I come out. I'd already figured out the razor wasn't going to work. Either I was going to have to come out or he was going to break in, and the result of that was exactly what had me in that bathroom to begin with. 
 
Somehow he managed to scrape together the room money by the next morning. Three days later he went to jail, and I was finally out of that hotel room. It was the end of the story of my old life and the first chapter of the story that brings me to the life today. There is no way anyone could have convinced me that night in that hotel bathroom that in just a few short years I'd have a smile on my face, a husband who cherishes me, an amazing home with luxury vehicles in the garage, and the ability to travel and enjoy life. For me, driving a Mercedes off the lot is about so much more than owning a nice car. It's a reminder of how much I've overcome and what I'd have missed out on if I'd succeeded that night. The Lord won't send you a fancy car, but what he will do is point you in the right direction. All you have to do is have the faith in him to follow his lead. 
 
Around the time I first left him I was introduced to a woman at church who had been horribly abused by her ex-husband. She eventually found the strength to leave him and is now happily married to a great guy. I'd felt so hopeless for so long that when I looked into the future all I saw was pitch black nothingness. Meeting that woman and hearing her story was so important because it made me see that perhaps my life wasn't totally beyond repair. Perhaps it was possible to hit rock bottom and somehow find your way back to an even better place than where you started. I'm sure there are people who find my willingness to share these very personal parts of my past a serious case of TMI. It's not always easy to hit that button and post things that might make people look at me differently, but I know there are so many women out there that feel helpless, hopeless and alone like I once did. I want every woman going through hell to know that there's life after heartbreak. It's always darkest before the dawn, and I'm living proof that the sun can and will shine again. Keep the faith. Your blessing is coming. 

Leave a Comment

0 comments

Please leave a comment so I know I'm not talking to myself. ;) I read every single one. ♥

You Might Also Like

Contact Form