Real Life 11:02 AMAndrea ♥ TheTaintedButterfly.com

The Divided State of America


For the last week or so, it seems like every single topic in the news is centered around a discrimination or equality issue of some type. I'm not usually one to discuss my views on politics or sensitive social topics. It's totally not my style to try to push my beliefs on anyone else and have always felt that the way I live my life is the best way to show others what I stand for. Today, I was having a conversation with a group of ladies that moved me to want to write about my thoughts on the subject. This is very unusual for me and might be the only time you'll read a post from me like this.



I watched the Bruce Jenner interview the other day. I'm not much of a Kardashian enthusiast, but wanted to check it out because I think it's a fascinating subject in general. Say what you will about it, but I have a hard time believing that anyone would put themselves through something like that unless they really felt it was something they needed to do. While watching, it occurred to me that a lot of the major problems in our society could be solved if people stopped fearing and judging people's differences. Personally, I don't care what anyone's gender, sexual orientation or race is. I don't feel like I'm better than anyone else just because they have different looks, beliefs, or values than I do. I mean, if some dude wants to buy a dress and a vagina and have me call him Betty I don't have any problem with doing it. As long as Betty doesn't try to force me to get a penis, we're cool.


My feelings about marriage equality are pretty similar. I'm a Christian and get the whole 'Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve' thing. However, it's my job to make sure I'm living the way God wants me to. Deciding who gets into Heaven is his job, not mine. If Adam and Steve want to have sweet, lovely relations I don't feel like it affects me as long as they don't ask to borrow my bed.  Who am I to tell Adam and Steve they can't get married? I can't imagine how heartbroken I would be if I was told I couldn't marry my husband just because some people don't agree with interracial relationships. When I think about it in those terms, I can understand how gay people must feel.  I really don't understand the viewpoint that allowing marriage equality tarnishes the idea of what marriage is supposed to be. Straight people strayed from the true intent of marriage a long time ago. If it were up to me, I would make the marriage laws equal for everyone and make them a lot more strict. In most states, you can get married at the drop of a hat for a few hundred dollars and all you have to do is sign your name. However, getting a divorce is expensive, complicated, and time consuming. In my opinion, if they made it just as hard to get married as it is to get a divorce, a lot less people who didn't belong together would be running out and doing it.  


The conversation I was having today was actually about the rioting in Baltimore. Particularly, a video of a white girl screaming racial slurs at a group of black people on the street and bragging that her Dad was a detective. My only real experience with racism was when a friend of mine's niece came up to me and told me that she liked me, but her Mom told her she wasn't allowed to be around me because you can't trust white people. She was 7 years old. It's always stuck with me because it was like a rare glimpse into what black people must experience so often. It upset me to be judged like that, but mostly my heart broke for that little girl knowing that she was going to grow up believing that you can't trust certain people because of their skin color. During today's conversation, several people agreed that racism makes it harder to be in an interracial relationship. My husband and I rarely have any negative experiences with others. I think part of it is because we honestly don't care what anyone thinks, but on the rare occasion where we notice someone giving us dirty looks we handle it by engaging in an inappropriate public make out session. My husband is a wonderful man and the idea that someone would think otherwise is ludicrous to me. If someone wants to judge him or us because of our difference in skin color they're just a fucking moron.


My opinion is that all these issues are loosely connected in the sense that that they all involve a person's fear of or hatred toward someone different from them. Watching the news makes it apparent that we still have a long way to go, but for anyone who thinks that we haven't made progress on equality issues, those same news stories are evidence that we are getting somewhere. We all know white police officers senselessly murdering black people isn't a recent development. The fact that these incidents are now making the news daily, and people have the courage to rise up against their local law enforcement shows that we are marching toward change. The fact that a reserve deputy right here in Oklahoma has been charged for senselessly killing a black man is evidence that perhaps soon these police officers will be forced to think before they shoot. Maybe we can't change their hearts, but we can force them to make the choice between going home to their families or depriving a black man of being able to go home to his. The fact that I can walk hand in hand with my husband and not be run out of town represents progress. The fact that Bruce Jenner can go on tv and show off the little black dress he plans to wear to dinner with Diane Sawyer and people support him even if they don't understand it shows tolerance. The fact that the Supreme Court is even discussing gay marriage shows the potential for equal rights under the law. The best thing we can do as citizens is teach our children well. What happens next is going to be up to them.     

Leave a Comment

1 comments

  1. I can't deny there has definitely been progress. As in with interracial relationships... at least black men aren't being castrated or hung up on a tree for dating or even looking in a white woman's direction. But I don't think it's enough progress to say we are getting anywhere. We still have a long way to go. Black lives still do not matter. While it may have been removed from the constitution that we are 1/3 of a person, authority figures, government officials, and sometimes even common people still treat us as such. I think progress will be considered made when black people no longer have to fear for their lives or future simply for being black, when we are stopped being killed senselessly by non-blacks for the color of our skin, or when we are truly treated fairly in all areas of life. There'll still be work to do after that, but at least I can consider that progress. ♥

    Tia
    Let Them Envy

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment so I know I'm not talking to myself. ;) I read every single one. ♥

You Might Also Like

Contact Form