Recipes 7:55 PMAndrea ♥ TheTaintedButterfly.com

Recipe of the Week: Stuffed French Bread




I just spontaneously decided that I'm going to do a recipe of the week. I know I can't be the only mom that gets tired of eating the same 3 meals the kids like over and over. When your kids are little you can just fix what you want and they will either way it or starve. Once your kids are of the age that they have licenses and their own money, if they don't like what's on the table they'll be in someone's drive thru in no time. I really hate seeing my kids living off of fast food and am forever searching for something besides fried chicken and hamburgers to fill their bellies. Here's a good easy one I tried for the first time tonight.


Stuffed French Bread
I started with ground turkey (beef would work too, of course) and browned it with minced garlic, Worcestershire sauce, and you guessed it... DRY ONION SOUP MIX. While that was cooking, I cut a loaf of French bread in quarters, and then split each piece open. I scooped the bread out of the middle, put the insides in a bowl and tore it into small pieces. When the meat was cooked, I combined the meat and bread mixture with a can of cream of mushroom soup and shredded cheese. I spooned a nice amount into each piece of the bread. Then I sprinkled a little more cheese in each one and cooked them in the oven at 350 for about 10 minutes.

Ingredients:

1 loaf of French bread
1 lb ground beef or turkey
1/2 pack dry onion soup mix
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp minced garlic
Shredded cheese to your liking

A little hindsight advice: One thing I learned after making it is that it's best to either use French bread that's meant to go in the oven or make sure the meat filling is hot when you put it inside. I used the already baked loaves from Walmart. I took them out of the oven because I didn't want the bread to be too hard, but the middle didn't get quite hot enough. Also, 1 portion was so filling we couldn't finish them. Maybe cutting them in 8 pieces would be better.


Admittedly, this isn't the most healthy thing in the world, but your kids will love you for it! The best part was I doubled the recipe, and now dinner for tomorrow is already done. Not to mention it was a 30 second job. This week's is a super simple one, but I'll hook you up with something a little classier next week. In the meantime, enjoy the carb and calorie packed deliciousness!

Leave a Comment

0 comments

Please leave a comment so I know I'm not talking to myself. ;) I read every single one. ♥

You Might Also Like

Contact Form